Cathedral Candle Company Office Building
Cathedral Candle Company has served Christian churches through the master craft and art of candle making for more than a century. The original Syracuse factory began production in 1897 and continues to supply candles to Christian churches around the world, including the Vatican. The new Cathedral Candle Office Building is the first step in a Master Plan that will renovate and expand their campus located on Syracuse’s North side. There are no photos in existence documenting their original factory, and the great-grandsons of the company’s founder wanted to recapture some of that history with the construction of a new office building.
The office building is a freestanding structure that needed to compliment the existing factory as well as the surrounding residential neighborhood. Following the principles of the Master Plan, the building reinforces the fabric of the city block by locating the parking at the core of the site. The building was intended to address the street with a dignified and traditional ‘formal entrance’ while allowing for a universal walkway, which connects visitors from the parking area to the front entrance.