PARTNER | 1868-1946
In 1888, Melvin King came to Archimedes Russell as an unpaid apprentice and swept floors and cleared ash buckets just for an opportunity to work with “the old man” as King referred to him. After a year, King had demonstrated his commitment and Russell offered him a paying job. As the 1890’s progressed Melvin became more involved in the firm’s larger projects. In 1902, Russell was commissioned to design a new courthouse for Onondaga County. Completed in 1906, this spectacular new courthouse was the firm’s crowning achievement. Melvin King was lead designer and supervised most of the project and as a result, the “old man” made him partner, creating Russell and King in 1906. This began a period of transition, as Melvin took on more of a leadership role. He devoted much of his time to service. Melvin was president of the Central New York AIA, YWCA, and Syracuse Chamber of Commerce. He also served as president of the Syracuse grade commission during the elevation of the railroads in the 1930’s.