The Hotel Syracuse opened in 1924, during prohibition. As a result, the hotel had no bar. In 1933, with the repeal of Prohibition, Melvin King was commissioned to design a bar for the city’s grandest hotel. He created a striking Art Moderne lounge decorated in black glass and steel that became a wildly popular spot for guests and Syracusans alike.